simply the best subscription box

The 4 Best Subscription Boxes for Book Lovers (in Canada)

Living that book life isn’t always easy, especially when it comes to subscription boxes. I am a book subscription box addict. As much as I love books, the idea of getting a surprise book plus some extra bookish goods just has me living. It’s like a Kinder Surprise except I’m not allergic to them.

Unfortunately for me, it can be hard to get certain boxes if you’re Canadian. Book of the Month for example, is only open to U.S. Residents only. Other book services end up charging you nearly the same amount for shipping as you paid for the box which is a hard pill to swallow since the prices tend to be in USD.

So below are some boxes that won’t break your bank and that will allow you to get both pretty bookish thing

Life's Library Book Club

4. Life’s Library Book Club

Life’s Library is a bit of a mixed bag for me. The basic idea is that John Green and Rosianna Halse Rojas sends you a book every six weeks which also comes with a lapel pin, a decal, and book plates. On top of that, you get Digital Perks like a reading guide and a podcast discussion with John Green and Rosianna Halse Rojas.

So even if the physical subscription is sold out, you can still sign up for a Digital Subscription for a discounted price and online perks only.

The reason that this isn’t higher on the list is that the gifts felt a little cheap. They’re all paper extras which didn’t give it any of the fun of opening some of the other subscription boxes. On top of that, my book came damaged which was disappointing. However, their customer service is awesome, the podcast was fascinating, and the book choices for Life’s Library are on point.

Join Life’s Library Book Club here!

The Wordy Traveller Box

3. The Wordy Traveller

This is one of the few non-fiction book boxes I’ve seen that’s worth its salt and it will pick three books every three months based on a geographic region. The extras that you get along with the book box are themed on that region including some professional photographs and usually some kind of physical gift. The first time I received a box, it was with a glass cup from Turkey.

Unlike the other boxes on this list, the theme of the box isn’t about being bookish or quirky. It’s all about the region, it’s about losing yourself in these books and expanding your horizons without needing to leave your home.

I would have had it down at number one, but the price is a little higher when you break it down than Owl Crate or Blind Date with Obvious State. I love this box. I love it so much, but the price might be a deal breaker for some people, especially when you add in the conversion rates and the shipping.

See the current Word Traveler journey here!

Blind Date with Obvious State

2. Blind Date with Obvious State

Obvious State is a purveyor of absolutely gorgeous bookish goods and they have these amazing stylized quotes, mugs, and tote bags in their shop so when the chance came to order a Blind Date with them, I couldn’t click buy fast enough. Blind Date is what it sounds like, they send you a package every month or so with beautifully stylized bookish goods including lip balm, candles, candy, note books and the like. On top of that you get a small poetry book that has a visual interpretation of a classic poem each month for $15.

As it says on their website, it’s “dinner and drinks on a coffee and cake budget. Not bad.”

This is the first and only poetry box I’ve seen around and I love it. I don’t read enough poetry and this box is helping me get back in there. The shipping isn’t too bad. It ends up being $25 or so, but I’ve gotten pretty candles and a book and a lot of things, so I never feel like I’m not getting my money’s worth.

Go on a Blind Date with Obvious State here!

Owl Crate Wicked King Box

1. Owl Crate

I’ve gushed about Owl Crate before and if you go on Instagram, you’ll see posts for it everywhere, but its reputation is well-deserved. Every box comes with a hardcover book, a pin, and an array of bookish goods. I’ve gotten so many amazing things out of these crates including a wax seal, scarves, wall hangings, jewellery, planters, and the list goes on. They are the reason that I have a book planner and they’re the reason that I got back into YA in a big, bad way.

I love their crates and they’re the highlight of my month, hands down, every time. You can see how excited people are to get them and even when the merchandise isn’t entirely up my alley, it’s still lovely.

On top of that, you get a cute little newsletter and the books usually have a signed book plate and a note from the author.ย  It is incredible value for money.

Even if you don’t subscribe to Owl Crate regularly, it’s still worth it to join their newsletter as sometimes they’ll have limited edition crates for big upcoming releases (like the one pictured above). They sell out quick, so keep an eye out for them.

Get your Owl Crate today!

Did I miss your favourite subscription box? Is there one that I should try next?ย  Today’s Featured Image was taken by @infinitelynovel on Instagramย please check them out!

Let me know in the comments below~.

14 thoughts on “The 4 Best Subscription Boxes for Book Lovers (in Canada)

1. Lindsay says:

These boxes look really great! I’m in the US and I’ve gotten OwlCrate before, but I’m glad there are some awesome boxes up in Canada for you wonderfuls as well!

• trulybooked says:

It can be really hard since we’re so limited and shipping is more expensive here. ๐Ÿ™ I’m always looking for cute boxes, but when you buy a box and then the shipping is more than half the cost of the box, it’s off-putting.

2. Kristina says:

Ah ! seeing this title made me SO. Happy. !! as I am Canadian aswell.

I took a look at Owlcrate the other day, and with the shipping to my province and the $US from $Can conversion..it goes over 54$ for me! Which.. let’s be honest i’m so not up to that..The box being only 30.bucks. to begin with- my shipping price is almost half of that price (10something)๐Ÿ™ƒ While seeing it’s your No.1 and highly up to it for you, I’m not a huge fantasy fan and most of the hyped book don’t interrest me, so in that forecast; paying that much for something I don’t know if i’d enjoy isn’t really worth it for me.. I do love to read the Owlcrate Unboxings though !

• trulybooked says:

๐Ÿ™ That really sucks. It’s my number one just because you get so much stuff from it and I’m so excited for it each month. Whereas I’ve gotten some really bad boxes from other services where I felt like it was a waste of money. Haha, I’m glad the title made you happy! We’ve got to give Canada some love.

I was thinking of doing a Canada/international giveaway for an owl crate box at some point, if I do, I’ll give you a poke because it can help with the shipping.

Also if you’re interested in book boxes, Indigo has started doing them and if you ship to store, shipping is free.

3. Jennifer says:

I have been toying with the idea of book boxes for awhile. It is hard when you live outside the United STaes. Canada does seem to have a lot of nice offers! We aren’t quite so lucky here in Swiitzerland. I might have to wait until we move back to the US.

• trulybooked says:

All of these boxes are based in the US, it just means that there are boxes that I can try where the shipping isn’t too too bad. It sucks that it’s so hard to get them in Switzerland. ๐Ÿ™ Is it the shipping that kills it?

4. Michelle says:

As someone from the Netherlands, I understand your struggle that lots of bookboxes are so expensive, the shipping alone will cost you a kidney. I have subscribed to Owlcrate recently, since shipping for that box is still okay, the box seems to be a bit cheaper than other ones. But I’ve really loved every box I’ve gotten! It’s such high quality and with the new pins they’re including in the boxes, I will definitely stay a subscriber for as long as I can afford it!

• trulybooked says:

Oh man, I can’t imagine how much it would cost to shit overseas. What does Owl Crate work out to with shipping if you don’t mind me asking?

I love Owl Crate even though I was hesitant about it being all YA all the time.

5. Kaleena @ Reader Voracious says:

I love OwlCrate but rarely splurge on it because while I am fine spending $30, the extra $8 for shipping is just a mental issue for me haha. But the quality & items are so good, so I do buy when I know the book and want to own it.

Blind Date sounds like a really neat box!

• trulybooked says:

If they don’t sell out, I like going for their past boxes since they’re discounted and the shipping doesn’t matter as much or their limited time boxes like the ones they did for Wicked King.

Blind Date is a lot of fun! I’m always on the look out for non-YA subscription boxes that still have that whimsy to them and I’m always excited for it. Do you have a subscription box go to?